Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Calling All Photographers!

When I started photography, I never set out to be a professional. I just wanted to capture my life. (Well, mainly my daughter!) I never thought about the gift or the art of it. But the gift… well this became quite a reality in my life.

In May of 2007 I was 32 weeks pregnant with my second child, a little boy. It had been a great pregnancy with no complications until the doctors discovered in an ultrasound that he had Multicystic Kidneys or Potter’s Syndrome. We were told that he wasn’t going to live. It was devasting and a few days later I went into labor. I had to have an emergency c-section and we told the doctors that if there was any hope we wanted to do whatever we could to save him. But after trying everything he could, the pediatrician handed him to us. We held him and loved on him as he went to heaven. Everything had happened so fast and because of the emotional state I was in, I didn’t even think to bring my camera. Thankfully one of the nurses had a camera and my sister-in-law had her camera. Those images have meant so much to us and to our healing process. Even though I could tell you how the day unfolded like it was yesterday, the little details of memories fade over time. Every time I look at these images of my sweet baby boy, I’m reminded of how precious he was and what a blessing it was to have him here, even if it was for only a few moments. The photos are not about the pain, but a reminder of how precious every life truly is.

About a year and a half later I was flipping through a PPA magazine and came across a Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep page. I wasn’t sure what it was but I was drawn to it and immediately went to their website. I cried like a baby. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt I was suppose to get involved.

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Volunteer photographers assist families suffering from stillborn & early infant loss with the gift of free, beautiful, heirloom portraiture of their children. www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org

I feel so blessed every time I can give another family comforting images of their precious little ones. Lisa Young and I are the area coordinators for Horry County and I wanted to share my story to make the local photographers aware of the need for more volunteers to cover all of the area hospitals. We realize this is not for everyone, and it is not an easy task. We just hope that you would seriously consider sharing your gift and become a part of this wonderful organization. Thank you for taking a few moments to read this blog and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me at info@photoyoung.com.

Sommer Ortiz


Sommer Ortiz

Kindly Share The Love »»

Save on Delicious

No comments: